Spoonful Magazine.

I've always had a dream about working for a magazine, thanks to this I'm always looking for magazines online. It's fun, especially when you discover unique and wonderful magazines such as Spoonful. A short but sweet magazine that can be fitted into a journey such as a train or bus ride, a magazine that is filled up with lovely things that aim to make you smile and feel good about life. It's a wonderful creation. Below I talk to Anthea the lovely lady behind Spoonful and discover how Spoonful came together. 

What sparked the idea to begin Spoonful, how did you come up with the name?

Well let's see, I think the best way to explain it is to tell how I was a very miserable & unfulfilled graphic designer for many years. Working in the commercial sector seemed to drain me of any enthusiasm for life & I couldn’t believe that that was ‘it’ for the rest of my life. I used to go for walks at lunch time to try to cheer myself up, and often found myself marvelling at the shifting of the seasons, the light through the trees, and other natural beauties. My walks became a kind of solace and hope for me, and I wanted to share the feeling they gave me… I started writing little emails to special friends sharing these thoughts and moments, and then, having always loved books and little magazines I decided to try to create something that would cheer/fulfill and inspire me in printed-form, and hopefully inspired others too.

The name was one of those wondrous moments. I'd been mulling the idea around in my mind for a while and one day I was in the shower (the birthplace of many a great idea :) and it literally just hit me... Spoonful... something indicating that it was short... but yummy, and I guess also has the 'Mary Poppins' connotations of a Spoonful of sugar to help the medicine of life go down :)
 
To people out there who have never read Spoonful, how would you describe it to them?
Spoonful is an independent little magazine all about enriching the everyday and filling readers with passion & happiness. Designed to be short enough to read on a bus or train ride & make you feel happy by the end, it is my little design & writing ‘baby’, a project which consumes vast quantities of my time, but definitely makes me feel fulfilled – plus, I get to work with wondrous people doing it, who very much inspire me to continue.

Where do you find your inspiration to come up with new ideas/themes for Spoonful?
I think there's a book that says 'Inspiration is everywhere' & in the case of Spoonful that's very true. I'm always on the lookout for little wonders in life... on travels, walks, the supermarket, online, offline… sometimes I get a little overwhelmed and too inspired online and have to have some ‘off’ time to think a little. Spoonful very much responds to whims not having intense deadlines, so it is published only once inspiration strikes.

How long does it take to put a magazine together?
Honestly, it’s a lot of work. It takes me ages, which is why I’m so grateful to have such patient readers. Every Spoonful is divided into sections, and each section is written/created/crafted or designed with new creatives each issue. Usually I decide on what is going to go in and approach the wondrously inspiring individuals I think would suit that section. If they agree to be in the issue, they go and work on their various tasks, and then all the writing, poetry, visuals and artwork comes back to me, where I put it all together into the issue. As there are not many pages, I very much try to make every single thing printed inside Spoonful to be worthy, beautiful or inspiring in some way, and so a lot of work and people and love goes into a page.
Finally once proofing & design is complete, it will go to print and come back to me to sell/market and send off into the world. I’m not the best saleswoman, but I try. I’ve often wished I could work with marketers or sales people on this part of the job as it’s not my strength but at present Spoonful doesn’t make enough money to warrant it.
I love the fact that Spoonful is a magazine that anyone can submit their work to; it’s a great way for people to get their work noticed/discover new people. Do you considered everyone or stick to a set of guidelines?
That's been one of the most exciting and delicious aspects of Spoonful - it's become a sort of gateway or showpiece for many artists and is a lovely way to discover online magical spaces and amazing creatives for our readers too. 
I honestly read and consider every single email we receieve and every person I meet or chat with. I'm very serious and passionate about the quality that goes into each page (there are not too many pages after all. So the artist/writer/creative must be magical/inspiring in some form.) Not everyone is, or can be published, in fact many don't suit Spoonful's style, but that doesn't mean theyt're not amazing... It has to fit. I do try to offer huge variety and support new artists/individuals literally wherever I can. It's wondrous to watch their careers soar and increase in speed after the exposure :)

Describe your perfect morning:
Aaaah, that's difficult... let's see... it would probably begin with a walk or some form of exercise (to get it out the way) and then my favourite day is completely open... no chores... no social calls, just open space and time to think, create, illustrate and write. I like to search around a bit, feel inspired and then begin...
There would be yummy healthy breakfast and a fabulous cup of tea too... of course *wink* On my perfect morning I'm obviously santly and manage to eat right - haha this is not often thec case!
What can we expect for the future of Spoonful Magazine?
Well! We've just started a mini tradition of havin issues follow little themes. Our last issue (http://www.spoonfulzine.bigcartel.com/product/spoonful-issue-8) issue 8 was inspired by heirloom blooms, and the one I'm working on next is all about sweetness... there's some AMAZING work being made for it I'm very excited!
I also dream of turning Spoonful into a little publishing company one day... where we don't just sell magazines but beautiful inspiring little books and magical works/artistic collaborations too. If you follow us on facebook (https://www.facebook.com/Spoonfulzine) or on the blog (www.spoonfulzine.com) we will be updating everyone as to what's next and what we're up to :)

I have to thank Anthea, reading her responses to my questions made me fell all inspired, I can't wait to get my hands on the next issue of Spoonful. Have any of you read it before? As mentioned they excpet submissions, something I enquired about, my insides did a little leap of joy when I got an email saying they would love me to do a little piece for their Sweetness issue. I'm excited, I'm sat writing my little contribution now. 
  1. thank you for having me here lovely Hannah! A true delight and a beuatifully put-together post!!

    thea.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the most gorgeous little magazine I've ever seen! Thanks for featuring this :)

    Much love,
    Jennifer x

    artstylelove.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I'm glad you like it, it's such a lovely magazine x

      Delete

Designed by FlexyCreatives