Review: BHS Sew Lovely Hedgehog Pin Cushion

I've never made a pin cushion before or ever bought a craft kit from a shop before, I got this one from Christmas which my Mum picked up from BHS. So my first thoughts on this kit when I looked at it is that its designed for beginnings, people starting out in crafting etc. 

On opening the kit you are greeted with all the things you will need to make the Hedgehog pin cushion, pre-cut felt pieces, filling, buttons, pom pom for the nose, needles, thread, ribbon, pins and instructions. Before I start anything I read through the instructions, which sounded simple enough until I started to make it. There were two different shapes to work with to make the body of the Hedgehog one was called Semi-Circular while the over was called Egg shaped, I looked at the shapes for a while because personally I thought they could both pass as either one of those, so I made a call and started stitching.


I can't say I'm a big fan of a runner stitch, maybe because I'm not very good at it but I always think a whip stitch looks nicer on plush things. I've also never used a needle like this before, this one was blunt on the end and I did have trouble getting it through the felt which feels really hard in comparison to other felts I have used. Once I had stitched these two pieces together I looked at the instructions and the next part didn't make sense or matched what I just stitched together.

I don't know maybe I was just having an off day but I couldn't understand the instructions, I tried piecing it together, sewing the other pieces on but it just didn't look right. So I thought maybe I got the shapes confused. I'd also like to point out at how bad the pictures are on the instructions, as well as the finished Hedgehog on the instructions looking different to the one on the packaging!

These were the two shapes that came in the pack, 2 of each of them. I even asked people on twitter which one they though was an egg shape and which one was semi-circular, the response was the one on the right is semi-circular but they themselves wouldn't describe it as semi-circular. That left me even more frustrated I can make this and this but I couldn't get my head round a simple pin cushion which I assumed was designed for beginners. Rather than get annoyed I decided to unstitch it and do it my own way. I used one of the egg shaped pieces as the base and whip stitched the semi-circular pieces onto that, I then cheated a little on glued the face of the Hedgehog on, I did try stitching it but it didn't look right, this is how it ended up.

So in the end it didn't turn out too bad, I'm just a little bit annoyed at myself for not being able to follow the instructions, but I'm also wondering if I'm the only one. Have you ever bought a craft kit? what were your experiences with it? And I'd love to hear if anyone had this particular craft kit. This one hasn't put me of buying kits but if I were new to crafting and I got this I would have been a little lost and maybe put of by the idea of crafting.

  1. This is so cute! So glad you managed to fathom out the weird semi-circles in the end, haha ;)

    Sarah Elizabeth xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, haha it did get me a little frustrated but I like how it turned out!

      Delete
  2. Ack that tiny face is so adorable! I feel like this would be a great craft to do with a kid :)

    belle + compass

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I can imagine a child would like it although I did struggle a little!

      Delete
  3. I haven't bought any craft kits like this, as I prefer to make things from my own designs but I like the idea of them. However, knowing the problems you've had, maybe that woudl put me off buying them for people in the future, as I'd been thinking they would make good gifts..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm intrigued to buy another craft kit too see if it has similar problems but it would definitely put me of buying them as gifts for people who have never tried anything like this which is a shame.

      Delete
  4. This is so cute. I've never actually made anything from a kit even though I was given when I was younger. I am still intrigued to try but I feel like a bit of research into them would be a good idea!
    Lauren | OhHay Blogs!
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Designed by FlexyCreatives