Home Country Crafts - My entry and DIY

Sunday, 30 March 2014
When I spotted the Hillarys Country Craft competition on Caroline's blog (Burkatron) I knew I had to enter. I was given a choice of four 100 x 100 cm fabrics to choose from, Calluna Amethyst, Wild Poppies Vermilion, Patina Pewter and lastly the Bird Parade Teal, since I've always been fascinating by Peacocks I chose the latter, the fabric is gorgeous and when it arrived I could do nothing but admire it for a while!

When I signed up this competition, I had no idea what to make, my first thought was cushions but I'm still a beginner on my sewing machine so didn't want to risk it until I've had a bit more practise. Since my bedroom is very small, I thought maybe I could use the fabric to use with a storage idea, I thought of making a storage holder to hang on the wall with lots of pockets, I then liked the idea of making an embroidery hoop pocket holder. 

Since I am very much a beginner when its come to crafts and using my sewing machine I wanted to create a project that anyone can do, experience or not, or for someone who doesn't usually craft. At the time I was getting rid of my dressing table since I wanted more space in my room, since I like to recycle (my shelves in my room are drawers from my old bed) I wanted to use the wood from my dressing table and turn it into a shelve shaped like a house, that idea fell through since my brother is going to use the table in his room. At this point I was slightly running out of time to buy wood and make one myself, so I turned to ebay to buy a house shaped shelve..

diy fabric shelve














And this is what I made, yes its simple but I love the way it came out, and its so easy to do at home, not only to shelves but pretty much anything you want to add a pattern/pop of colour to from boxes, drawers etc. and I also have enough fabric left over to attempt cushions (so please share any tips!) and I also want to make some Lavender shaped hearts! I'd love to hear what you would have made, or if you have entered yourself please share your entry, I am always looking for crafty projects. (I've seen some amazing entries so far, so good luck!)


To make one yourself you will need:


Fabric
Scissors 
Fabric Glue
Paint 
Tape Measure or Ruler 


Firstly I measured the individual size of each shelve unit and made a note of it. (Sorry about the ruler, sure this is the only one I have, managed to cling on to it from school!)




I then painted the shelve a creamy silk colour (to match my room) whilst it was drying I cut out the fabric. Painting isn't my forte, I'm too impatient waiting for things to dry!



Once dry, I glued the fabric to the inside of the shelve.

Once fully dry, hang on the wall and add cute little trinkets. 

14 comments:

  1. I actually think it's quite brilliant what you've made it's actually quite fiddly too and something I'd be willing to have a go at (I say in crafty but it's meant in the least crafty way possible haha) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I think the hardest part was cutting the fabric to the right size, quite fiddly! You'll have to let me know if you give it a try.

      xx

      Delete
  2. It's beautiful! I wish I managed to finish mine in time just everything seemed to go against me. Good luck to you! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely, you should still finish even if you can't enter, would love to see it!

      xx

      Delete
  3. I Think that's so lovely, cllasic, simple and elegant x

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is such a clever idea! i would never have thought of using fabric in this way - i thought it was painted at first!
    lily x
    www.jolihouse.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, glad you like the idea, the fabric is gorgeous, I only wish I could paint something like this!!

      Delete
  5. That's a great way of using the fabric, it looks lovely. Good luck with the competition!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty - best of luck for the competition! x

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top