Sizzix Big Shot Machine with Hobby Craft*

Thursday, 1 May 2014
Before you start reading this post I would like to warn you that it is slightly photo/text heavy! I had so much too talk about and pictures to share!


The other day I received a parcel and inside that parcel was a Sizzix Big Shot die-cutting machine! Before I received this machine, I had no idea what die-cutting was, tell me I'm not the only one? The Sizzix Big Shot machine comes packaged in a box with everything tightly secured together, after unwrapping everything the only bit of DIY I had to do was attaching the handle to the machine which is simple enough! I adore the teal colour of the machine and the floral pattern is so pretty (basically anything with florals has me interested, if I saw this in a shop I would instantly go up to it!) Since die-cutting was something new to me I was slightly nervous to get started in case it went wrong! If like me you haven't heard of die-cutting, its a machine that cuts through a wide range of materials to create shapes, emboss and give texture to materials, perfect for scrap-booking, card making and more. I've never been a big fan of paper crafts so I wasn't sure how much I would love die-cutting.



I was eager to get started straight away but I didn't have any dies, so I turned to hobbycraft (if you are a new member you get a 15% discount!!) and chose this Rose and this set, because I had spent over £20 I got some mini dies for free. The dies are quite expensive but since they are reusable they are worth the money, and if you do plan on buying dies remember to check to make sure they are compatible with your machine!





So when I looked at the machine I had no idea what I was doing with it, so I watched a few videos on youtube and on hobbycraft. The product comes with a multipurpose platform and this is where I got confused, how do I know what platform to use, the diagrams to me, a beginning weren't very helpful. I eventually got the idea, one platform is used for embellishments, the other embossing and texturising. The item comes with two clear cutting pads, which are used to create sandwiches, since I was only using the machine for embellishments my sandwich consisted of, the first layer a cutting board, next the paper, then the die face down and then the last cutting board, it sounds complicated, I really thought it would be but it is so simple. I decided to have a practice run on some plain paper, to use the machine you place your sandwich onto the platform and then move the handle, there is a slight resistance as the sandwich goes through but this is entirely normal, I was so impressed with the little Rose that came out at the end.  



So I had a go on different types of card, it was so easy to pass it through the machine and the result were perfect, the Owl and the Bear have to be my favourite!




Once I was done using card, I decided to test it out on different materials. Firstly I tried it on Oilcloth, again this one was really easy, I passed it through the machine twice and it came out really well, I then tried it on fabric, as you can see this one didn't go as well, I think if I passed it though the machine more it might have happened, I'm just not sure how many times you would have to do it, I went over 10... Next up I tried felt, which worked! I was happy about this, again it has to go through the machine a couple of times to make sure it cuts right but I love it!



I ended up making this cute card, I really love this machine! I had so much fun trying it out (I'm going to spend my evening making more embellishments!) To think I was nervous about trying it out because it looked hard to use was silly because it turned out to be super easy, I'm going to show my Mum how to use it at the weekend. If you love card making/scrapbooking etc. I would highly recommend this machine! 

Have you tried die-cutting before? Is it something that interests you?

*This product was kindly sent to me for to feature on my blog, I chose to review the product. All thoughts and opinions are my own, the dies were bought by me.



9 comments:

  1. Your machine is adorable! Happy cutting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so pretty! I love the flowers!

      Delete
  2. Wow that looks absolutely fascinating! I think I would get use out of it for the felt - shame the fabric didn't cut through too well. Can't wait to see some lovely things I am sure you will make with it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was a shame about the fabric but I had so much fun just cutting card!

      Delete
  3. This looks really good! I've never of heard it before but now thanks to your review I want one. Sadly my lack of money will probably put a halt to my plans....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one! They are a tad expensive but worth the investment I think if you love paper crafts!

      Delete
  4. I have seen machines like this in Hobbycraft in the past but have to admit they always looked a bit complicated so I've never tried them. It looks like the sort of thing which would be great for card making and crafts, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really worried about using it, honestly though it would be hard but it wasn't! Definitely a good investment for paper craft lovers!

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top