Adventures in the UK - Calke Abbey (Photo Heavy!!)

Although me and C do see a lot of each other its rare that we have days off together, even though I finish work mostly in the afternoons leaving me plenty of time to do my own stuff, C always finishes at eight or ten pm meaning he wants to go home and relax so its rare we get to go out and do things. On Tuesday we both had the day off, so we decided to go somewhere I ended up choosing Calke Abbey (which is part of the national trust, tempted to become a member, anyone else joined?) After typing the the postcode into google maps, which took us to the wrong place, as per usual, we arrived. Calke Abbey is Hidden away in the Derbyshire countryside, the site used to be an Augustinian priory before its dissolution by Henry VII, the house had a few owners but the for most time the house was owned by the Harpur family for over 300 years. I love exploring places like this, its like time has stood still, its eerie seeing peoples possessions unused, wondering who they were etc. A lot of the place hadn't been restored, left with peeling paint and run down stables but it just adds to the authenticity of the place. Once we had paid for the tickets, grabbed some sandwiches and a cream scone we headed off to explore the abbey. At the start you are given a guide book, we details explaining the rooms as you go through, I liked how it was self-guided. 
This painting was hanging in the stables, once you got closer and moved from left to right the image appeared.


The house leads into the entrance hall/waiting room which full with taxidermy the room was full of deer and cattle heads. The main staircase which was made of yew and oak.
The Dining Room and The breakfast room were two of my favourites although the dining room has been slightly altered, the grandeur of the rooms was impressive. 
The Saloon was a two tiered room and jam packed with more taxidermy, although hunting etc. isn't something I agree with at all, this shows that the recording of natural history was an important pastime, the collection in this house are an important record for environmental and conservation records. Of course my most favourite room was the library, if only I can leaf through the books and breathe in that old book smell.
Above are just a few photos from the day, we visited all the rooms and there are a lot, although I did loose C at one point and started heading down the servants tunnel which was very dark, I ended up turning back because I didn't know where he was! 

Have you been to Calke Abbey or any of the other National Trust sites, what are your thoughts/favourite places?
  1. Oh wow, this looks so creepy and cool. I love places that are just full of nooks and crannys that you can explore. I used to go to a lot of places like this growing up in Scotland because there are so many castles and stately homes but I haven't really since I moved to London. I should explore a little more!

    Sorcha x Bright Field Notes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so lucky, Scotland looks amazing and so many things to see and do. I hope you do start visiting places near London, I love places like this too, I could explore for hours!

      Delete
  2. NTCalkeabbey here: Love the blog Hannah and we like the tunnels at Calke too - they keep you cool in summer and have just the right amount of creepiness from one end to the other. Did you manage to get to the Gardener's tunnel too? Membership of the NT would be useful if you plan on coming back and seeing more - plus we do a special rate for under 26s! See you soon...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I joined NT this year, and have made use of it to go to my local NT places a couple of times so far, with plans to meet a friend at another property on Sunday, so I've definitely got my use from it.
    I've not been to Calke but would like to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want one! Sounds like so much fun and well worth the money!

      Delete
  4. That place looks AMAZING! You're soo so lucky! Wish I could go there, one day hopefully <3

    You have such a lovely blog!

    Beatriz,xo || Classy and Trendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I hope you do one day!

      Delete

Designed by FlexyCreatives