Review - Illamasqua Skinbase foundation

Tuesday, 17 June 2014

'Inspired by the cult Asian market Beauty Balm creams, Skin Base Foundation is a brand new, refined formula unlike anything on the UK market. Easily blendable, it effortlessly creates a perfect complexion, and like the entire Illamasqua foundation range, is undetectable in a professional HD environment. Suitable for all skin types, it smoothes, softens and conditions your skin whilst providing natural, buildable coverage.'

Any girl who wears foundation knows how much of a quest it is to discover the perfect foundation, the right shade, coverage, lasting power etc. Being pale and cutting out products which aren't tested on animals (which is really quite difficult) has proven to be hard. I heard about Illamasqua skin base due to spotting Becka looking flawless wearing it on instagram and I was impressed by the coverage and the way it looked. Then I started doing research, they aren't tested on animals and they have a wide range of shades available (even a pure white one!) I waited for payday to come around but the product wasn't in stock, thankfully someone on twitter saw that I wanted one and was selling theirs because it was too pale for them, really how many times have you heard that? I was excited, it arrived and it is without a doubt the palest foundation I have come across, I couldn't wait to use it. 



The illamasqua foundation is on the right, the one on the left is Bourjois lightest shade Light Vanilla.

The shade I chose was the SB 02 the second lightest shade after SB 01 which is the pure white one. Now the colour of this matches my skin perfectly but it washes out all the natural colour that makes me 'glow', gives my skin a bit off life (if that makes sense) it didn't bother me too much, I can add a few drops off another foundation to add a bit of colour to it. I have to mention the scent of this product, to me it smells like Vanilla Milkshake, super yummy.

When it comes to coverage I like a full matte look, this product delivers that. It covers up all my problem areas, the product was easy to apply and blend. Now lasting power is important to me, I want a foundation that isn't going to fall of my face, I also want to know that if I have an itch etc. I can touch my face without the foundation coming off. This is where the product failed for me, after applying it I couldn't use powder etc. because it would lift off, if I touched my face I would have foundation on my fingers, by the end of the day I'd have smile marks, the foundation was piling into some parts, leaving red marks and making my nose look oily. It was bad so I bought a primer hoping that would fix the problem, it didn't. I went on twitter and ask if anyone had had the same problem with the skinbase foundation, someone said it works fine for them but heard its not so good on combination skin, my skin type. Someone also suggested using a powder under the foundation and it should last longer, it kind of helped but my the end of the day it was still all over. I was so disappointed.

I'm not giving up on Illamsaqua foundation just yet, I'm going to try some of the others they have on offer and hopefully find one that works for me. Have you tried this product or others from the Illamasqua range, which are your favourites?

6 comments:

  1. Finally a foundation for ridiculously pale skin! Haha. Too bad to hear about it coming off though! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, I'm so annoyed it didn't work after it took me forever to find one so pale!`

      Delete
  2. I'm really glad your review is honest as I've been looking into trying new foundations including Illamasqua, but I might hold off just for now! Hope you have better luck with it in the future! :)

    Frankie x
    Crazyblondegal

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried their Light Liquid foundation and it was awful. It clogged up while putting it on, and settled in every crease and enlarged pore, and it started to break down and slide off my nose during the day. Primers didn't help, powder didn't help...I went back to Max Factor Facefinity and never looked back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no really? That's put me of trying anymore of their foundations, I don't want the same thing to happen!

      Delete
  4. I have pale skin and use a body shop foundation that in in a compact. However what I would suggest it contacting your local temple spa consultant (via online) and get them to come and give your skin the basics. I have been using temple spa for 4 years and it shows that using the base products for your skin that SUIT your type, and they cover all the areas on your face that there will no longer be foundation issues.

    At least look into it because I can't recommend it enough. I have no skin issues at all after years of problem combination skin.

    Any questions email me x

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top