Looking for Alaska by John Green

Monday, 8 September 2014
“I wanted so badly to lie down next to her on the couch, to wrap my arms around her and sleep. Not fuck, like in those movies. Not even have sex. Just sleep together in the most innocent sense of the phrase. But I lacked the courage and she had a boyfriend and I was gawky and she was gorgeous and I was hopelessly boring and she was endlessly fascinating. So I walked back to my room and collapsed on the bottom bunk, thinking that if people were rain, I was drizzle and she was hurricane.”

Ever since I stumbled across that quote on the internet one day I added Looking for Alaska on to my to read list, a while a go I finally purchased it but it still sat unread for a long time. When I finally picked it up one evening I couldn't put it down, I wanted to savor the book but also I needed to know what was going to happen. This book has been around for awhile and despite reading/hearing so much about it, it was never ruined for me. I had built up my own image of what I thought this book was about, what I thought was going to happen and I was wrong, and although I was hoping for a miracle to happen, I'm glad I was wrong about everything I thought would happen because I wasn't disappointed one bit. 

This is only the second John Green book I've read, but what I love about his books so far is how relatable everything is, they are funny, smart, sad, inspiring and so much more. 

Have you read Looking for Alaska, let me know your thoughts and tell me what your favourite John Green book is! I've also heard they are planning on making this book into a film, along with many others I'm routing for Kaya Scodelario to play Alaska.    

8 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this book, it's been a while since I've read it but I quite enjoy re-reading books. I agree with how relatable the books are, it could be nice to see it as a film to be honest. I'll have to keep an eye out on the news for it

    Rhiannon x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahha, the Teen has put this book n her birthday list.
    She's read the Fault in our stars and then went n watched the film.

    Sa xXx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just finished this book too, it was amazing! I agree, I had my very own ideas of what was going to happen. I thought the countdown leading up to 'the day' would be the day they finally got together and he found Alaska. But it was far from it!! I would gladly read the rest of his books, bar 'The Fault in Our Stars' haha because I hate the idea of the characters already having an image, and after seeing how they were portrayed in the movie I feel like the story wouldn't be made in my own imagination. Stupid really haha!

    Great post,

    Sinéad
    x

    http://thetravelbibleblog.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was the first John Green book I read and I loved it so much! Glad you enjoyed it.
    Lauren // OhHay Blogs!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to read this! I'm currently reading Game of Thrones but I may have to bite the bullet and buy this as I love The Fault in Our Stars, and this book looks amazing!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've shamefully not read ANY JOhn Green books yet - going to request them from the library now though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this book sounds so good! Definitely going to have to have a purchase! x

    http://rachelcoco.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top