Crafty Creatives Box 27 and We Made a Thing!!!

Crafty Creatives is a monthly subscription box that sends a new craft to your door each month (£15 + £2.95pp)  to view past boxes click here.

Septembers box was slightly late in arriving, this was because Septembers box contained a kit from America, the Lumi inkodye print fabric with light, in the colour Orange. This is the easiest way to print fabric using only light! 
I was really interested in trying this kit, I've never dyed any fabric before and this method seemed really quick and easy.


So the kit contained an instruction sheet, a negative image, two scraps of fabric, dye, wash and a roller. The roller screws onto the dye and then you roll it over the whole piece of fabric you want to dye. I did think the consistency of this was hard to get even, some parts ended up with more whilst others had barely any. I was also worried I might use all the dye just on the scraps! So once you have rolled the dye onto the fabric, you then place your image you want to print onto the fabric on top and leave in the Sun for around 20 minutes. 
So I used the negative that came with the kit and tested out some leaf shapes. Surprisingly the negative image that came with the kit didn't come out amazingly well. Once you have dyed your fabric you then need to put your fabric etc. into the washing machine using the inko wash, which help locks in the dye, whilst getting rid of unexposed dye. If you don't do this your unexposed area will turn Orange eventually! I didn't put mine in the wash instead hand washed in the bath which worked just as well.

WE MADE A THING!! 
So since the dye was Orange I thought I could use it in making something for Octobers We Made a Thing which had the theme of Autumn. So I dyed a leaf pattern onto a tote bag. 
I'm really happy with how it turned out, although I did struggle getting the dye all away around the edges. I'd love to know what you think? Have you tried dying fabric before?

This months theme for We Made a Thing is Starry Sky, to join along all you have to do is made a craft related to the theme and post about it at the beginning of December! and click the links to see what everyone else made this month. Rhiannon, Jenny, Charlotte.  
  1. Love this! I really do want to start getting these kits soon - is a good excuse to get creative even when super busy :) x

    Jasmin Charlotte | UK Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, and they are perfect for a rainy day etc! x

      Delete
  2. I love the orange dying idea - what a great one for Halloween/autumn.

    Lizzie's Daily Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh this looks very interesting! I've just signed up to Paper Haul, can't wait! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wanted to sign up to that but I'm so poor right now =( cant wait to see whats inside though x

      Delete
  4. gosh that bag looks so fabulous! I'm always so scared to try those sorts of crafts, but you've done such an excellent job its really really gorgeous :) I bet you look really excellent flashing that bag around college :) jenny xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, I was worried that it wouldn't turn out quite as well! x

      Delete
  5. The bag is lovely! I think any time you dye anything by hand there are going to be little imperfections, but they just prove that it's handmade! I've tried sunography fabric before, where the light sensitive dye is already on the fabric and that was quite fun because you can use anything as a template! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, will have to look at sunography sounds interesting! x

      Delete

Designed by FlexyCreatives