What I've been reading - Divergent by Veronica Roth (mini review)

Tuesday, 20 January 2015
divergent book review
'For sixteen-year-old Tris, the world changes in a heartbeat when she is forced to make a terrible choice. Turning her back on her family, Tris ventures out, alone, determined to find out where she truly belongs.
Shocked by the brutality of her new life, Tris can trust no one. And yet she is drawn to a boy who seems to both threaten and protect her. The hardest choices may yet lie ahead….'

The story follows a girl called Beatrice who lives in a future wasteland world, this world is broken up into factions each focusing on a different virtue. On your 16th birthday you must choose a faction to live in, staying with the one you are born into or leaving to join another one. Beatrice is from the Abnegation, which emphasizes selflessness. The four others are Candor (the honest), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful) and Erudite (the intelligent). Some people don't fit completely into one faction and these people are called Divergent, who are seen as a threat, Beatrice is one of these and has to keep her secret safe.
I've heard mixed reviews about Divergent some even saying the film is better (which I am yet to see) whilst the next two book in the series aren't as good as Divergent. Personally, I loved this book, I couldn't put it down it had me gripped from the beginning right to the end. The book is well written, with interesting characters, the story moves quickly and I don't think there was a part were I thought 'I'm bored, when is something interesting/good going to happen. 8/10

Have you read Divergent or seen the film? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. oo really? so many people have said to me the film is better!

      Delete
  2. I think I should give this a go - my friend is a biology PHD student and she said she enjoyed the trilogy but felt very let down by the ending so she says I shouldn't read it, but if its enjoyable might be worth a lack luster ending..i'd be interested to read about what you think of the next books if you will read them too :) jenny xx

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top