ON BEING 24

I was sat thinking about what I'm doing with my life whilst I watched the moon slowly eclipse the Sun. I think this goes for many people but adult life is not what I imagined it to be when I was a child dreaming about being grown up, having a grown up job with a house, a car and all other grown up things. Now, I wish I could cling onto those last childhood days where it was still okay not to be sure about your future and what you are doing with your life. 

When I imagined about being older I was sure by the time I was 24 I would have moved out of my parent's house and I'd be living a cutesy cottage, I wouldn't have a job I would have a career and by now I would have travelled to a zillion countries and ticked more items of my bucket list. 

The reality?

I'm still living at home, along with my twenty six year old brother and twenty three year old sister, none of us can afford to move out. I am determined to save up enough money for a mortgage and not rent BUT I constantly yearn for that privacy that comes with having your own space. A part of me regrets not saving money when I got my first job at sixteen but at that age you are young and care free and don't always think to save your money. I was in a relationship for five years from the age of eighteen to twenty three, I was sort of hoping that we would've moved out together after saving enough money but that never happened.  

I do not have the job of my dreams and I still have no idea where I am going. I want to work with animals, I want to write a book, I want make cute and pretty things and sell them. I want to dabble in a lot of things. But it doesn't give me a direction to follow, I've gone back to college at the age of 24 to study animal care but still when this course is over I have no idea what happens next. Half the time it's hard to even know where to start with all of these things. 

Although I have been lucky enough to travel to a few places, I haven't travelled as much as I would have liked, I know the reason for this (another story) and this is one thing I'm trying to conquer! 

It's so hard not to worry when you are sitting at home, flicking through facebook for the fiftieth time that day, doing nothing when you could be doing something productive. Time wasting when we could be doing something else, I think we are all guilty of this at times. It is so hard not too compare yourself to others of similar age, the majority of people in my year at school have children, they are engaged, they have good jobs, and they all seem to have their life figured out. 

I guess adulthood is a lot different, and I'm still trying to figure it all out but I'm looking forward to the rest of it and hoping things will slowly start to fall in place. 
  1. I completely understand all of this!

    Adult life is nothing like expected....even if you do own a house/car/have a career nine times out of ten they are nothing like you hoped or wanted them to be.

    I think the only sense of comfort we can all take out of feeling this way is that we ALL feel this way!

    Life has a way of turning out well though, so don't beat yourself up about it. When the time is right it'll all work out.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becki! Glad I am not the only one, I definitely things things like a house etc. are a lot harder to be able to afford these days! xx

      Delete
  2. Ditto!
    I'm 26, still living at home, my main job is in retail and I don't drive. I'm not jealous of people my age who are married with kids....that's not where I want to be yet. But career and travel are two things I feel I am lacking in, especially for my age. I find though, if I'm working towards those things, then I feel a lot better, even if it's only small steps. :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, kids at this age is not for me! But it is crazy how many people in my year have children! Agree, I'm taking steps towards career/travel so it does make me feel that bit better! x

      Delete
  3. I think SO many people are in similar situations and I guess it's easy to feel like your the only person not 'growing up' when all of your friends are having kids and getting married. I'm 25 and I still live at home; I want to travel and living at home allows me to save for it. I thought my life would be totally different at this age too but life just has a funny way of turning out right. Don't fret about it :) I'm sure 99.9% of us feel this way! xx

    Eärendil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life does have a funny way of turning out but I'm sure it's this way for a reason, onwards and upwards. Glad I'm not the only one!! x

      Delete
  4. I understand this so much - at 23, I'm looking to change careers and I don't really know what I'm going to do with the rest of my life.

    Lizzie Dripping

    ReplyDelete

Designed by FlexyCreatives