A day trip to York - Dungeons, Clifford's tower and the Castle museum.

Sunday, 21 June 2015
Last week, I went on a day trip to York, I always make a list of things I want to see and do before I go places and try and have a day full of stuff to do. I chose York because I can't recall ever going (although again, my mum tells me otherwise and I went when I was younger, seriously bad memory.) As soon as I stepped of the train, I was captivated by this city, I love its historic buildings, its castle wall, its rivers to its cobbled streets. 
the york dungen blog review



The first stop on our agenda was The York Dungeon, we booked online and for an early time, so there was no ques when we arrived (our group was a size of ten.) You aren't allowed to take photos inside so I hope I can explain the tour the best I can with words. I've never been on any kind of dungeon tour before so I had no idea what to expect, when we went in we posed for a photo then went into the waiting area which is pitch black! It took a while for my eyes to adjust to the darkness.  The tour lasts for around 75 minutes delving into 2000 years of history, the actors were incredible and really brought the story to life. Was it scary? I did let out a few screams at some points, and was constantly terrified of the thought about someone jumping out in front of me. They get you to participate in certain scenarios, I was hoping I would not get chosen since I am shy and feel dead awkward, three times I got picked to participate but actually it was a lot of fun. Firstly, I had to enter the 'catacombs' by myself, one of my favourite parts about the tour. Then later I got called up to be placed in some stocks then lastly got burnt as a witch! Overall, it was a really enjoyable experience, it was fun and educational and a tiny bit scary. It is something I would love to do again. 
cliffords tower york
Located about five minutes away from the dungeons is Clifford's tower and the Castle museum. 
cliffords tower york
cliffords tower york
Clifford's tower is all that remains of York Castle built by William the Conqueror, it has served as a prison and a royal mint. The tower is located on the top of a mound and requires a climb up some very steep steps! It cost just under £10 for two of us to enter, I'm not entirely sure if it's worth the money, we didn't stay in there for long, we climbed up to the top of the tower to view the panoramic views of York, which are pretty stunning, we also had a look at the little chapel which is located next to the stairs before you reach the top of the tower. The chapel has some of the best medieval architecture in the tower. 
A ticket cost £10 but if you are aged between 18-24 (I believe) tickets are £5, you can also opt to keep your ticket and use it again for free within twelve months. The museum covers the road to Waterloo with artefacts from swords to military jackets. It also covers a lot about WW1 and how the world changed after, they also have a mock trench you can crawl through to help understand the conditions and space of them. One of my favourite parts of the museum was the mock Victorian street, I honestly wish shopping was like that now, with pretty shop windows and cobbles street and narrow alleyways. You can also explore the castle prison and step back in time to the sixties! It's a really interesting museum which has lots of different time periods and areas to explore.

I'll be blogging about what else we got up to in York shortly, including the Chocolate tour!! 

Going to a new city every month is something I'm trying to do so let me know what are your favourite cities?

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you had an amazing time! Such a unique trip with fun interesting places to go x

    http://whiteshirtchic.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top