A day trip to York - York's Chocolate Story

So if you know me, you would know how much I love chocolate, if there is ever chocolate around I'm the first one there, when people bring chocolate into work everyone's like 'Hannah, there's chocolate over here.' When I was looking for things to do in York I came across York's chocolate story, I was half and half about booking to go because I wasn't sure if it would be any good, but after a reading a few reviews on trip advisor (and checking that their chocolate is vegetarian) we booked the tour. 
yorks chocolate story

The tour started at half two and lasted an hour although it went really quick! Our tour guy was Dougie who was great (all the staff was pretty amazing!) The tour starts of on the top floor called the story zone, here you aren't allowed to take photos due to visual effects and talking photos... This part is all about the history of chocolate from the first cocoa bean used in a Mayan chocolate drink which included chilli peppers and water (which you can sample on the tour) to the start of Roundtrees and Terry's. It was really interesting with lots of information, I also really like hearing about the people of York who used to work in these factories and the roles they played. Again our tour guide Dougie shared lots of information and answered questions, and the debate over Hershey's and British chocolate. I've had Hershey's before and enjoyed it but apparently it gets its unique taste from rancid milk! 



Next we entered the factory zone which tells us all about how chocolate is made, I can't remember the correct name but those tiny crumbs I'm holding in my hand is chocolate before all the sweet stuff is added, as you can imagine it was very bitter! This part was really informative, I also learnt that white chocolate technically isn't chocolate since it does not contain any cocoa solids only cocoa butter. Here we also used out senses and learnt how to correctly taste chocolate to enjoy its taste at its finest. This is where Dougie left us and we looked around at old sweet tins and wrappers. Did you know before the famous Terry's chocolate Orange they had chocolate apples and lemons? 
After looking around we were called over to have a go at making our own chocolate lollipops, this was so much fun! After making a circle shape I decorated my lollipop with white buttons and caramel flakes, I ate this later on in the day and it was yummy! Once we had finished our lollipops we watch one of the chocolatier's make chocolate with a lemon and lime ganache, she talked to us about the process, again which was really interesting, she also told us how best to store chocolate (not int he fridge if anyone does, since this can ruin the taste.) Once the chocolate was ready we got to sample them, along with some made earlier which was blackcurrant and elderflower, which wasn't too my taste but the lemon and lime chocolates was amazing, I love lemon curd, I love chocolate the two together, perfect! I may have helped myself to several of these. We then headed back to the entrance and had a look around the shop and gave into temptation by not ordering something from the cafe. Overall, it was really enjoyable and if you love chocolate and have a spare hour whilst in York I would highly recommend. 
  1. I went here not long ago and had such a great time! I wasn't sure about going either because I sometimes find these things really hit or miss, but I'm glad I went. There were plenty of tasters available too which is always good in my books!
    samantha xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Urgh! i hate being dairy free! This looks so good I love all your photos x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing - definitely on my list of places to go.

    Lizzie Dripping

    ReplyDelete
  4. wowzer I've never heard of this place, I am so glad you shared this trip out on here! it all looks brilliant and sounds absolutely fascinating! I went to cadbury world a few years ago, and that was pretty splendid, but was very tailored to kids/families, and this sounds more interesting for adults which is a big charmer! I will keep my eyes peeled when next going to York :) jennyxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so much fun, I'd love to go there!
    - Emily from http://www.emilyunderworld.co.uk ♡

    ReplyDelete

Designed by FlexyCreatives