Hillary's Craft Competition - Butterfly hanging decoration/mobile

Wednesday, 17 June 2015
Last year I took part in the Hillary's craft competition, it was a lot of fun getting involved so I was eager to take part in this years, there were four fabrics to choose from, I opted for the Safi Turquoise fabric, a botanical, leafy lush fabric. 

The fabric appealed to me because of the colour, natural side to it and I found the fabric to be quite relaxing. I wanted to make something that would reflect that. I had a few ideas such as a tea light holder, to a lamp shade but opted to make a butterfly hanging decoration after being inspired by a paper butterfly hanging at my local shopping centre. 















The butterfly mobile is really simple to make but is time consuming. You will need: fabric, felt pieces, scissors, thread, a bamboo stick, glue, crystals etc. to decorate. 
Firstly I made two butterfly templates, then I cut out twenty small butterflies and five larger butterflies, how many you make is entirely up to you. Afterwards I did the same on felt in the shades of green and blues, I used felt as a backing for the fabric to make it more solid.
I then selected some thread, crystals beads etc. and laid the thread out and positioned the butterflies to get an idea of where I would like them.


I then threaded on some crystals, glues the butterflies to the thread and decorated the fabric with seed beads etc. 


I'm really happy with the end results, let me know what you think!

12 comments:

  1. Oh, this is so pretty! I really love the idea you came up with for it, and love how you used different coloured felt backs too :)
    Sian xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks so pretty! What a great idea. :)
    theemeralddove21.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw this is fab :) good luck and thank you for visiting my blog!

    Kay xx
    Idreamofcoco.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an awesome idea - I'd love to try it out myself with the leftover materials I've got from the Hillarys comp. Best of luck lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cute mobile! Look great esp when u lay in bed and imagine the butterfly flying! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your idea and I think the blue works well for this fabric...well done and good luck to you too!
    bestest daisy j xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your Butterflies Hannah. Good luck in the Competition.
    Kimx

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so pretty, and I imagine they would look great when there's a breeze running through the room. Good luck!

    Awake + Make

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this - cutting out those butterflies must have taken forever!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so pretty and very effective.
    Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting on my entry. Good luck to you too.
    Lynn x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this, looks very chic and cute!
    Lauren // OhHay Blogs!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top