A day trip to Warwick - Warwick castle and Dungeon

Thursday, 17 September 2015
August's day trip led us to Warwick, to see the famous Warwick castle. After a delayed train which set the day back we thankfully arrived in Warwick to a nice, sunny day. The train station is about a 15-20 minutes walk away from the castle and main centre of Warwick. but the walk is through beautiful historic streets! We bought our tickets online which offer a discount and gets rid of the hassle of queuing for tickets when you are there.  


I haven't been too many castles and the on local to me is Nottingham castle which is really small in comparison.  Warwick castle is HUGE so I was pretty impressed with it. There is so much to do you could spend your entire day there and not get bored. The first place we came across was the Victorian rose gardens and ice houses. The garden is pretty to walk around and slightly hidden away from everything else. The ice houses is as you may have gathered from the name is where they stored ice, you can walk down to see the area which is really deep and of course cold! 



After really enjoying the dungeons when I went in York we booked tickets to the Warwick dungeons, I had no idea if the storyline would be the same or not. This one however was cheaper than the York ones due to it being a lot shorter. The stroyline was the same, however it was still enjoyable and quite scary. At one point we came out a room and there was a guy sitting outside, me thinking it was a wax figure stared at it thinking to myself 'I'm sure his eyes are following me' the guy than got up and followed me down the stairs scaring me. After we came out of the dungeons we wandered around some of the rooms, admiring the interiors of the Victorian era. We also visited the time tower that gives you a brief history of Warwick Castle. Then it was onto the tower and ramparts, be warned there is lots of steep stairs to climb but it so worth it, the view is incredible. 

There is honestly so much to see and do, we also watched the bird show which I'll be blogging about soon. The atmosphere was incredible, really fun, I loved the little activities that was going on throughout the castle and it really did make me feel I was experiencing a castle for how it was made to be used (if that makes sense at all?)

Have any of you ever been to Warwick castle, let me know what your favourite parts were, or any good castles to visit! 

1 comment:

  1. I went years ago and I loved the jousting outside!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top