Trek america southern sun - day 3

Sunday, 6 December 2015
Day three - Washington DC to Appalachian Mountains. 400 miles, 645km.

Appalachian mountains was something I was looking forward to on this trip, we woke up and left our campsite at seven am, as the sun was rising, a fantastic shade of gold filtering through the trees. Today, was the first of days that were known as van appreciation day, I want to say this drive was around eight hours long but I cannot be sure! Most of us slept in the van but I gazed out the window for the majority of the trip as we drove past the Blue Ridge mountains and the Appalachian, I have never seen an endless amount of forests in every direction, there was an copious amount of colour greens, browns, oranges and reds. The way the mist lingers throughout the trees is truly beautiful, the scenery is something I could admire for hours. In England we don't really have a forest you could get truly lost in, I've fallen in love with the idea of getting lost in  a forest (knowing I would be safe) the adventure of it and submerging myself in the wild/nature sounds like the ideal dream for me. 

To stretch our legs our guide made a little stop, so we could look at something and to put it simply quite odd. A guy named Mark Cline has made a replica of Stonehenge completely out of Styrofoam so given then name Foamhenge, the size and position is exactly the same as the original. I think its been there since 2004 so it has deteriorated a little but it was interesting none the less and had theories of how and why Stonehenge was built dotted about.

A while later we stopped again and took a hour walk along the Virginia Creeper trail, don't get me wrong the trail was beautiful but it wasn't what I expected. When I thought of the Appalachian mountains I expected us to be doing a hike, climbing up things, walking through the forest and arriving somewhere they gave us a view of the mountains but I was wrong, it was a walk that really felt no different than being in England... 


Although I was a little dissapointed our campsite made up for it, we stayed at Bristol KOA campground and I loved it. We were nestled away inside the forest and it felt like real camping! The surroundings were perfect and that night we had a thunderstorm which although sounds undesirable it just fitted perfectly. This was also the first time we put up our tent!

(I am going to try and make my trek america posts as detailed as possible and fit as much in as I can remember, if you have any questions about the tour ask in the comments below and I will do an FAQ at the end. I also was not planning on having these posts so few and far between but I've been so busy!) 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top