TREK AMERICA - SOUTHERN SUN DAY 14

Santa Fe, NM - Monument Valley, UT. 280mi, 450km.

Today I was flat out in the van, I don't know if it was because I was tired or the fact I had a cold. This wasn't our longest drive either but it felt like it took forever to get to Monument Valley, again we watched thunderstorms from a far, the rain made some of the mountains and rock look like they had been painted silver. Up ahead for most of the journey I could see this large mountain and it looked like a castle in the sky, it was mesmerising. I'm sure our tour guide said it was called Jeff's rock but I can't be sure. 
trek america southern sun monument valley

trek america southern sun monument valley
Monument valley was a place I was looking forward to, when I first began looking at the southern sun tour I saw so many pictures taken here. Today we did the Navajo tour with the optional activity of sleeping in monument valley which all our group agreed to do. Navajo's are native Americans of the Southwestern united states. Our guide was called John who was really friendly and informative throughout the tour. We rode around on an open top jeep, it was freezing and at first I found it hard to enjoy myself with rain hitting me in the face. 
trek america southern sun monument valley

trek america southern sun monument valley
trek america southern sun monument valley
trek america southern sun monument valley
trek america southern sun monument valley
It took me a while to appreciate the beauty around me thanks to the weather. Our first stop was John's point, we got of the jeep to take photos, did the typical jumping shot and admired the view. The jeep ride was really fun thanks to the rockiness and unevenness of the road we were bouncing all over the place. After John's point we went to a stop called the giant 'Hogan' a hogan is a traditional Navajo dwelling, it gets its name due to the shape and having a hole in the top much like a hogan. Once inside the giant hogan we laid back at looked up, if you look closely you can see an Eagle pattern on the rock. Our guide then explained to us how monument valley was created, with rock, water and sand, and how all of this used to be under the sea and many fossils have been found from sea creatures that went extinct years and years ago. As we were laying back on the rock our guide brought our a hand held drum and began to sing a native song, which echoed throughout the hogan. 
trek america southern sun monument valley

Our next stop was given the name the giant ear, we ran up a sand dune to take photos, then on the way back down we all held hands and ran, although one person ended up falling over and face planted the sand. On our way back through monument valley the sun had begun to set, reflecting light of the rocks which shone a beautiful golden colour. The navajo's had prepared us dinner of tacos, mine was without the meat but it was so fresh and filling, it was a comfort food to warm us up on such a cold night as they got a fire blazing. I also had the bread with some honey on afterwards for dessert which was just as good. 
trek america southern sun monument valley



Once we had finished eating, we all circled around the fire to watch a traditional song and dance that mimicked animals such as butterflies, it was so beautiful to watch. I felt so lucky to be able to experience this, once he had finished we then all joined in with the dance, it was so much fun, something I will remember forever. Since we were stopping in monument valley for the night we were then driven back to the hogan we would be staying in, it was so warm and cozy. I have to point out the toilets are drop holes and there is no where to wash so I just slept in my make up and the clothes I had on. We all slept in a circle around the stove, played games as we all drifted of to sleep. It was such a wonderful and magical day.


To read about the rest of my Trek America tour click here.  I am going to try and make my trek america posts as detailed as possible and fit as much in as I can remember, if you have any questions about the tour ask in the comments below and I will do an FAQ at the end. 


Post a Comment

Designed by FlexyCreatives