TREK AMERICA - SOUTHERN SUN DAY 16

Sunday, 31 January 2016
Grand Canyon - Free day.

I don't think I've ever been so cold in my life. The night was freezing, despite an extra sleeping bag, leggings, PJ bottoms, slipper socks, slippers, two tops, a jacket, a blanket, gloves and more I was not prepared for how cold it was going to get. I woke up in the night from water falling onto my face, it was the worst night. 

I got up early for the rescheduled helicopter flights with three other girls. We got weighed and everything then sat around waiting to see if we could actually go out due to the cloudy weather they were having, unfortunately for us again it was still poor visibility and they said we could try again later on in the day. Phil then dropped us off at the trail we was going to be doing, called the Bright Angel trail. When it comes to hiking Phil said to us it's easy going down but ten times harder coming back up so to take that in mind! Since we had planned to try and do the helicopter ride later on we decided to do the 1.5 mile walk down the canyon and then turn back around. 
trek america southern sun grand canyon


trek america southern sun grand canyon
trek america southern sun grand canyon
I wasn't entirely sure how well I would do with this hike, I am not the fittest of people and can out of breathe really quickly, the descent down was steady and easy. We stopped at various points to admire the amazing scenery that was around us and take photos. The thought that I've actually been inside the Grand Canyon still baffles me. IT just looks so unreal and unlike anything I haven ever seen in my life. It has dips and grooves and so many layers that it is actually so hard to see how deep it really goes. Once we had reached the 1.5 mile mark we stopped and had lunch, we figured it only took us half an hour to walk down, which we thought was quite good for amateur hikers.  As we started to walk back up the canyon we ended up bumping into the rest of our trek group as well as a several others from the other group camping with us, asking how they had found the walk and how far they were planning on going down.
trek america southern sun grand canyon
trek america southern sun grand canyon

Walking back up, was harder. Although thanks to the several stops we made I wasn't struggling and so out of breath like I thought I would be. I think it is important if you feel like you are pushing your body, then to stop and take a time out. I took us an hour to walk back up and I think all of us were proud for doing it. There are loads of other hikes around the canyon depending on your experience but all of them offer amazing views! 


Once we had got back to camp we then climbed back into the van to go to the shops, then to see if we could fly! Phil rang ahead beforehand and it turns out we wouldn't be doing the flight at all. It was disappointing, however I tried not to let it ruin my day, it meant I had more money to spend and then I could spend the rest of the day relaxing. 

Later on in the evening both trek groups huddled around the fire with blankets and spent the night talking about the canyon, getting to know the other group and playing games. It was a perfect way to end our last night at the canyon.

To read about the rest of my Trek America tour click here.  I am going to try and make my trek america posts as detailed as possible and fit as much in as I can remember, if you have any questions about the tour ask in the comments below and I will do an FAQ at the end. 

2 comments:

  1. This looks incredible! I'm doing Trek America in April, including the Grand Canyon, so loving reading your posts about it :)

    Milly // Mini Adventures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're going to have so much fun, the Grand Canyon is beautiful! Looking forward to reading your posts about it. Which trek are you doing?

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top