BOOK REVIEW - WILD: FROM LOST TO FOUND ON THE PACIFIC CREST TRAIL BY CHERYL STRAYED

Friday, 19 February 2016
wild cheryl strayed

'At twenty-two, Cheryl Strayed thought she had lost everything. In the wake of her mother’s death, her family scattered and her own marriage was soon destroyed. Four years later, with nothing more to lose, she made the most impulsive decision of her life. With no experience or training, driven only by blind will, she would hike more than a thousand miles of the Pacific Crest Trail from the Mojave Desert through California and Oregon to Washington State — and she would do it alone. Told with suspense and style, sparkling with warmth and humor, Wild powerfully captures the terrors and pleasures of one young woman forging ahead against all odds on a journey that maddened, strengthened, and ultimately healed her.'

After I've finished reading a book sometimes I will do a search to read others peoples opinions on the book. Wild was recommended to me when I was in America, my camp mate and a guy from another trek group we bumped into were currently reading it. At the airport I had some left over dollars so decided to by some books, I spotted wild and a walk in the woods, both of them have a similar narratives and are based on true accounts in the end I only bought wild but added the other one to my to read list. I felt like this book was a perfect read for me since I had just traveled across America and I had the travel vibe and feeling like I had a new me attitude, after I had finished the book I was left feeling so inspired. 

That brings me onto reading other peoples thoughts some people claim that Cheryl Strayed is a liar and that her time on the PCT is fabricated, others feel the need to sit there and called her a 'whore' and a 'slag' for cheating on her husband numerous of times, the list goes on. I can only sit and believe that everything written in this book is a true and accurate account of Cheryl Strayed life and time on the PCT. 

Her writing is filled with adjectives and adverbs, some would say her writing style isn't the best, but I was drawn in immediately and 100% immerse in her story. When we aren't following Stayed's time on the trail we explore her life before the trek, the self-destruction that led her to where she is now. I enjoyed both parts of the story, the gritty details of the PCT, the survival details, the people she encountered, her blackened toe nails and toilet visits. She comes onto the trail only half prepared, she had supplies mailed to certain location, read guidebooks, planned how many miles she should hike, but she packed far more than she needed to wearing shoes that were too small for her feet. A lot of people seem to hate people who make stupid decisions and it seems this is where a lot of the hatred towards this book stems from, she wasn't experience she could had easily died of thirst or really hurt herself but she reminds me of an explorer, venturing into the unknown.

I think most people when picking up this book expect the book to be solely based on the PCT instead you get a book about grief, loss and self-discovery. The book is filled with brutal honesty from Cheryl, the book explores how she coped with her mothers death, depression, her addiction to heroin, her marriage and her infidelities. Yes, she is a little self-absorbed, inexperienced and makes rash decisions. We all make mistakes in life, cope with things different, the rawness of it all made me read on. The book throughout is beautifully narrated and entertaining, the idea of being broken or lost is something we may all relate to at some point in our life, her story about healing and surrounding herself in nature, doing something crazy by loosing yourself to find yourself really appeals to me. I truly admired her strength and courage. 

I wanted to savour this book, I didn't want it to end. I love that feeling when you've watched a film or read a book and you feel inspired and want to go out and do something about it. That's how this book made me feel. It made me want to pack up my bag and go hike the PCT although with training and not solo! 

3 comments:

  1. I've been wondering about this book since all the fuss about the film coming out but I haven't actually seen anyone review it before. It sounds like a wonderfully complex story. I think I'll have to add it to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like such a lovely book but *gasp& the film and the book have both completely passed me by!

    Lizzie Dripping

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard of this book before, but you've definitely got me intrigued - think I'll give it a read! I love the travel and self discovery aspect to it.

    The Velvet Black | UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top