TREK AMERICA - SOUTHERN SUN DAY 17

Monday, 1 February 2016
Grand Canyon, AZ to Lake Powell, AZ. 140mi, 220km.

No more cold nights from here! So as we were leaving the Grand Canyon can you guess? The sky was so clear not a cloud in sight! Typical. 

On the way to Lake Powell we stopped off at horseshoe corner to admire the Colorado river below, you can see where the name comes from. It is the most beautiful shades of green. Getting close to the edge was slightly scary because it was just a straight drop over the ledge. It is a slight walk to view it and on the way back you can really feel the full power of the sun in such a dry, sandy place. Walking this ten minute walk was a lot harder then the hike in the Grand Canyon. It was insanely hot. 

We stayed at the Paria guest ranch, and thankfully we had bunk beds in a bunker with a little living area and kitchen. Two of the girls has bought these candle wax ear cleaners, that you press inside the ear, light the end of it and slowly let it burn down to the ear to get rid of wax, I helped and it was one of the oddest things I have ever done. 

Later on a few of us decided to go horseback riding, I haven't ridden a horse since 2005 so I was slightly nervous. They picked our horses for us, based on who looked like they suited which horse. I got a horse called Jerry, who was a little slow and stubborn. He would not move or listen to me at first but finally he caved in and was a good horse. It was such a fun ride, going up slopes and difficult terrain, gripping on hoping I wasn't going to fall off. We saw lots of jack rabbits, with their crazy big ears, an old Morman shack and watched the Sun slowly set and the sky turn to a dark blue. 

After dinner, we headed to the party shack for a Halloween themed night. We had music and sweets and pumpkins to carve. I've never carved a pumpkin before so I made a right mess with it, but it was fun and something I'm going to have to try for Halloween this year. Me and Aisling carved a cat but I ended up accidentally carving its head off. For the rest of the night we spent time playing a game of taboo, sleepily huddled on sofas before bed. 

To read about the rest of my Trek America tour click here.  I am going to try and make my trek america posts as detailed as possible and fit as much in as I can remember, if you have any questions about the tour ask in the comments below and I will do an FAQ at the end. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top