TREK AMERICA - SOUTHERN SUN DAY 19

Wednesday, 3 February 2016
Zion National Park, UT to Las Vegas, NV. 160mi, 260km. 

Today was such a busy day. We woke up really early so we could start hiking before the weather got too hot. Only four of us decided to do the Angel's landing hike, including Phil. Angel's landing has an elevation of 1,765m, so bearing in mind I don't exercise and get out of breath real quick I wasn't sure how well I would fair. I also had no idea what to wear but opted for a jumper and leggings and a pair of battered Fred Perry trainers. After filling up our water bottles we started the hike which is 2.4 miles long. 
trek america southern sun angels landing

trek america southern sun angels landing
trek america southern sun angels landing
The trail is a path that has been carved into the Canyon, the further along you go the steeper it gets. I got out of breath pretty quickly at the start and had no idea how I was going to do the rest of it. Thankfully and very sweet of him, one of the guys walked along with me and carried my bag for me, as well as taking snaps along the way. 
trek america southern sun angels landing

trek america southern sun angels landing
Before the Scout lookout which is a turning point if you don't want to do the last half mile are 21 switchbacks, these were so tough but once I got to the scout lookout I was so relieved! The reason why some people may choose to turn around here is because the last 0.5 miles is a narrow path with sharp drops and has chains to hold on to. I remember at one point we was holding onto the chain with our backs to the edge and someone dropped a bottle over the edge Phil just looked back at us with a look of horror on his face, once we was over that little bit someone else was crying which didn't fill me with much confidence.
trek america southern sun angels landing

trek america southern sun angels landing
trek america southern sun angels landing
The shoes I chose to wear were not the best, it was quite sandy, climbing over rocks and not letting my grip leave the chains but I did slip a few times, my heart racing! When we had finally reached the top my legs were like jelly, we sat down and ate some food, with chipmunks running around everywhere and admire the insane view. It reminded me of the land before time. It was breathtaking. The climb down with the chains were a lot harder, it didn't feel as steady as going up and the large rocks were harder to climb down from. Other than that the descent down was a lot easier and we even ran parts of it. I was so proud of myself for doing it, I really wanted to push myself and I did, not bad for my nonathletic self. We then went to get some food and bumped into some of the others at the same place, I had the most amazing vegetarian burger made from quinoa.

Then it was in the van for VEGAS!!! We stopped of somewhere to buy some alcohol, settling for a bottle of vodka to share. We stayed at the Golden Nugget and it was such a beautiful hotel, although I'm sure they are all in Vegas. This one has a fish tanks with a slide that goes right through it. We had double beds in our rooms, after camping it felt so luxurious to be staying somewhere so nice. In the hotel I had some time to sort my suitcase getting it organised before heading home and just relaxed before it was time to get all dolled up for a night out. I opted for a sparkly dress bodycon dress. Then it was time for the party limo!
trek america southern sun las vegas

trek america southern sun las vegas
trek america southern sun las vegas
It was huge, I actually expecting a limo you might get to prom. It had a dance pole, sparkly lights and music and glow sticks which we spent most of the time hitting each other with. The hardest part was trying not to spill our drinks. We made a few stops including White Chapel and of course the welcome to fabulous Las Vegas sign, a highlight of mine and made me think of my favourite band from this area The Killers. 
trek america southern sun las vegas

The bus tour dropped us of on the strip which was amazing all lit up. We watched a few fountains displays and a few of us got separated from the others. Thankfully we had arranged to go to Drai's. It was such a fun drunken night, although this is the first time I've ever experienced VIP areas and only certain people were allowed to sit down. I would like to say I could remember the night but a lot of it was a blur.

To read about the rest of my Trek America tour click here.  I am going to try and make my trek america posts as detailed as possible and fit as much in as I can remember, if you have any questions about the tour ask in the comments below and I will do an FAQ at the end. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow this looks amazing! The heights would probably make me a bit nervous but the view looks incredible and I bet it felt like such an achievement too! I climbed up part of the Cobbler in Scotland last month and that was pretty tough but it doesn't look nearly as tough as this!

    Looks like you've had an amazing time there :)

    Issy | MissIsGoode xox

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top