Hedgehog awareness week

A tradition I used to have when I was a child was to leave food in the garden every night for hedgehogs, they were regular visitors to our garden and I used to anticipate their arrival most nights and I enjoyed observing them from a distance. Over time for whatever reasons we stopped doing this. Today hedgehogs are in decline, it is rare that I see hedgehogs that sadly aren't roadkill. 
hedgehog awareness weekThe other day when I was walking to work in the early hours of Saturday I came upon a hedgehog not quite fully curled up, lying in the middle of the pavement next to a road. I don't really know that much about hedgehogs but I knew enough to know that this behavior wasn't normal, not wanting to leave the hedgehog by itself I rang up work saying I was going to be late and rang my mum up asking her to bring a box and come meet me. I took it home and put in my shed (secure and safe) and went to work, asking my mum to keep an eye on it and to ask my sister if she would take it to a rescue place (which she did.) Sadly however the hedgehog ended up being put to sleep, it was unable to walk and very dehydrated although I was told the hedgehog appeared to be quite old (although it is still sad.)

If you read this blog you know that I want to do wildlife conservation in the future, the other day I came across wildlife's trust 30 day wild challenge where every day in June you have to do one wild thing, you can find out more here but I was planning on blogging about it soon. One of the things I wanted to do was make my garden more animal friendly for wild animals such as hedgehogs so since this is hedgehog awareness week I thought I would share a few tips of how you can do this. 

- If you have a fenced off garden if possible create a hole that a hedgehog can use as a doorway between gardens.
- Have part of your garden kept a little wild, the end my garden is slightly up-kept which makes it perfect for hedgehogs.
- Try building a shelter.
- Leave out food and water, we always used to feed hedgehogs dog food but always make sure the food your are providing is safe for the hedgehogs. 

Other things to remember:
Hedgehogs like compost heaps, it keeps them warm so always check beforehand before using sharp gardening equipment.
Hedgehogs can swim however they might not be able to climb out of a pond, if you do have a pond and get hedgehogs have a place they would be able to climb out with ease.
Garden netting can be hazardous, if possible keep it up high of the ground.
Avoid using pesticides, poisons (some people use it for animals such as rats) although people use these against one animal that doesn't mean other animals won't eat them, I read an awful story once about someone using rat poison in their garden and their dog ate it. 

This is just a few things you can do for hedgehogs, if you have any other tips of bringing hedgehogs and other animals to your garden let me know. 

  1. That's so sad that the little hedgehog didn't survive :( they seem to be no match for our cars and modern world and it is so sad! These are lovely tips and I'd love to make a little hedgehog haven, hopefully I can when we live further away from a busy road! xx

    elizabeth ♡ ”Ice Cream” whispers Clara | (lets follow each other on bloglovin or instagram)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!

    I'm also a blogger. I blog about art/lifestyle and diy mostly. I was searching for beautiful style blogs that I enjoy so that I can expand my blog community. <3

    I'm looking for any blog-community building advice you could offer as well! I think it's more tough when one has their own domain; it's standalone from the community. I've heard of bloggers promoting content through blog listings like bloglovin', as well as sites where you can earn promotional opportunities for having good content content like Advowire (https://advowire.com//users/profile/new?referral_code=AW36707). Do you use any of these sites to promote content or to collaborate with other bloggers? Do you know of other sites/resources you'd like to recommend?

    Thank you so much for reading! Hope to hear from you. xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww! It's sad to hear that the hedgehog had to be put to sleep. I am thankful for your list as there are quite some hedgehogs in my friend's neighborhood. I'll definitely relay the information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey girl! Sorry about the hedgehog. :( Thank you for this blog post, I never knew about all this before. Good job on helping the animals. You have a good heart. <3

    Caren | carenshope.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a sweetness about you. I am sorry to hear about the little hedgehog. My husband has always wanted one. Glad someone is looking out for them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! There definately needs to be more headgehog awareness. Great you have that childhood memory but im sorry about your wee hedgehog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hedgehogs are wonderful creatures :3

    <3: Jasmin N
    littlethingswithjassy.blogspot.fi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw poor little guy. Hedgehogs are so adorable. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh..so sorry to read about the little hedgehog! Though, we don't have any hedgehogs in the place where we live, we do have squirrels. And your story reminds me how I found and brought home an injured squirrel from a street. But fortunately, it gained health and ran off to its own community.

    ReplyDelete
  10. aww poor hedgehog :( they are such cute animals

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's so sweet of you rescued this little guy, but so sad it didn't survive. You gave awesome tips here to rise awerness of hedgehog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good post. My friend has a hedgehog. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love hedgehogs. Later on in the year I'm running a half marathon and raising money for a local hedgehog charity :)

    Please note that hedgehogs are lactose intolerant so whatever you do, don't out milk out for them as it makes them sick and often leads to death :(

    Helen
    Tea in the Tub

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love hedgehogs. Later on in the year I'm running a half marathon and raising money for a local hedgehog charity :)

    Please note that hedgehogs are lactose intolerant so whatever you do, don't out milk out for them as it makes them sick and often leads to death :(

    Helen
    Tea in the Tub

    ReplyDelete

Designed by FlexyCreatives